Monday, September 5, 2011

Thing 23: Group Kliks SMS from Maxis


Finally, someone in Malaysia has launched a Group SMS product.

Group SMS is where ordinary folks like us can :

  1. Create a network of friends using Short messaging services
  2. Support unlimited types of handphone models and softwares. (Stuff like WhatsApp comes pretty close but they won't work on cheaper models)
  3. Save battery & money without being perpetually connected to the Internet on our phones

I think Maxis did a good job coming up with this little advertorial video or whatever



And this is where they put it on their portal.. Those colors won't attract anyone to this site.


Guess they meant to say Cliques SMS but Kliks sure had me confused with some online service.

Never mind about that. In principle, the service is pretty handy for ordinary humans with diverse friends that refuse to be iPhone iDiots.

To get started, all you got to do is type "ON" and send it to 28881.

The whole service seems to be fully menu driven so I don't need to remember special keywords.

I found this out when a friend introduced me to a group called "traffic". It crowd sources traffic information. Think it's similar to the Twitter feed but it's cleaner with less "noise".

Here are a few screen captures (I ripped out of my pal's iDiotfone) of what they have been talking about in there:

I circled out "Penguins" as its the general nickname they seem to give Traffic Cops who wear white top & black pant uniforms. Any warning on Penguins are related to roadblocks for speed traps, road tax / alcohol / registration /etc. checks.

Think I'll create a private group for my own pals to arrange our infrequent Futsal sessions.

Oh before I forget, the pricing is fairly cheap at only 99sen per month (noting that Twitter SMS is about RM4/month).

Sending messages costs 5sen an SMS but it can reach hundreds (assuming your group is that big :P)

Receiving is FREE!! (obviously, that's the best part)

I just wish there was some way to mute the service when I don't want that incessant beeping over quiet dinners.

Another failure is that they don't seem to work with Digi. That is a big big mistake!

Anyway, I will try it for a month and will post an update later.




No comments: